Thursday, December 9, 2010

Giving options


         I was amazed to see a lot of course offerings in the colleges in the United States. I was even more surprised when I learned that many students are interested in psychology, anthropology, and other fields in education. Previously I used to think that in the developed countries like the United States, most of the people have interest in science and technology.
       In Nepal, the courses like psychology, history and philosophy, even though introduced, are always passive. Writing courses are rarely heard. Music and art classes are offered only in few institutions. Schools only focus on the excellence for science and mathematics.
      To uplift the education system of Nepal, the government should focus on promoting education in different disciplines. The jobs should be made available in different fields. Attention should be given to other fields of education by the government in addition to the funding for medical and engineering institutes. Only then students can have some options to choose from.

2 comments:

  1. I think your blog questioning the wisdom of schools and/or parents focusing on one or two disciplines like medicine and engineering at the expense of other disciplines is making some interesting points and inspiring some heartfelt commentary. The fact that so many of you have ideas about what should and shouldn't be offered in schools makes me think of how important it is for students to have some say in shaping the educational system of which they are a part whether that educational system is in Nepal or the United States. Interesting, too, that you are suggesting that Nepal schools and parents encourage young men and women to pursue science since in the United States, very few young women are encouraged to pursue the sciences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raja, I agree with you. What our schools and parents encourage us to do and push us towards for a career, really affects us. I think that schools should be more open-minded and not force us into one field. I don't know what it is like in Nepal, but I can imagine the pressure and stress you face there when your parents push you into a science or mathematics position!

    ReplyDelete